Today I finally got the time to sit down and start on Judy’s T-Shirt Quilt. She had mailed me the fronts of about 25 T-Shirts for me to make into a king size quilt for her.
The first thing I did was cut each of the shirt fronts (and a couple of backs) into 14″ squares. The finished squares are going to be 12″, but I like to start off with things a little larger so I will have room to play. To do this, I folded each shirt in half, then in half again, like this:
Then, I used my square ruler to measure 7″ on each edge of the t-shirt. I used a Sharpie marker to draw a line using the ruler as a guide:
Cut on the lines:
A few of the T-shirts Judy wants in this quilt had a small image on the front or on the sleeve and then another image on the front. I cut these out and pinned them to the corresponding shirt to keep them together.
If you have a T-shirt with a large image, you can match the edges of the image by placing a pin in one side of the image, and matching the other side of the image to the pin to line them up:
Next, I ironed some stabilizer onto the back of each T-shirt piece. I used Pellon SK135 Sheer-Knit Specialty Apparel Fusible, following the directions that came with it.This gives the knit fabrics a more stable feel, and makes them easier to work with in putting the quilt together. DO NOT skip this step, or your quilt will not come out right.
Next time, we’ll cut the squares again, and attach any appliques to the larger pieces.