Maintaining a quality wardrobe is undoubtedly expensive for the modern man. Most of the clothing we buy wears over time. Or we get weary about the old styles, and we want to get something new. However, investing in leather jackets is an exception to this. Getting a top-quality leather jacket means you have durable apparel that will last with you for a lifetime and still look good and feel like a fresh outfit. Leather jackets with customization also mean a lot of creativity going into their making. Premium jackets feature leather jacket embroidery, appliques, or other metal accessories for a greater appeal and as per the preferences of the wearer. The genuine men’s leather jacket procured from a reputable retailer will be a statement piece you can pass in legacy to the coming generations. Here are some tips for buying a leather jacket.
There are a plethora of reasons to choose a leather jacket. The most important reason to choose a leather jacket includes the durability of the jacket. Being derived from the animal hide, leather is rugged and can resist wear, and will form a more elegant product with higher usage. The tougher leather, like cowhide leather, will get softer and suppler with time! It requires minimal care like conditioning with saddle soap every few months. Leather is timeless and elegant, and it has a water-resistant character, and it also acts as a windbreaker. The leather jacket gives you a transformative and confident persona any man can ask for. You can also opt for leather jacket embroidery from retailers giving customization options. The best part about a leather jacket is that it looks fabulous with anything you pair it with.
The quality it renders and the versatility it offers are found only in a few garments in your wardrobe. And the appeal of the leather jacket just improves as time passes. However, you ought to know how to choose the perfect leather jacket.
Choosing the right leather jacket that suits your style and is an ideal complement for your attire requires due diligence. It also depends on the budget you have set for yourself to buy the right leather jacket. You need to have a clear knowledge about few aspects before you get the most perfectly suitable leather jacket.
Popular styles to choose from when buying a leather jacket
- Motorcycle jackets: The motorcycle jacket is known as the double rider or rider jacket. It can be snapped or zippered. The original motorcycle jacket had wide lapels and flared collars that could be snapped for fastening them against the wind. It is a favorite type of leather jacket style with Harley riders and their gangs. This is also the jacket of the pop couture.
- The flight jacket of the bomber: The official synonym for the bomber is A2. It was originally created for the Army Air Corps during the Second World War. Its initial design features a front zipper in the center, a pair of large flap pockets, ribbed hems, and cuffs. The jacket was cropped up to the hip to allow pilots to sit comfortably while carrying out operations for long hours, moreover, with a lined with shearling to keep the wearers snug at high altitudes. In the contemporary form, the leather bomber jacket is lined with fleece, flannel, and sometimes corduroy. Shearling is also used in the bomber, and it retains much of its original form, an example of stylish utilitarian apparel that has stood the test of time.
- The field coat or the blazer: This leather jacket gives the most comfortable feel. It features two flap pockets, a turn-down collar among the best design variants. Most of the field jackets or blazers have all these characters, and they defy an actual style category.
- Leather baseball jacket: The baseball leather jacket will get tapered at the cuffs and the waist. They also have a press stud fastening rendering an elegant and sophisticated piece of classic outerwear useful in all seasons. It is the perfect choice to sport on picnics, cycling, jogging, golfing, and hiking, and other kinds of outdoor activities.
Leather jackets can also be customized based on your preferences of color, style and storage requirements, accessories, or hardware embellishments. You can also go for the new and trendier option of a custom-made leather jacket with a hoodie for men.
The type of leather to choose
Leather jackets can be created from different types of leather.
- Cowhide or bovine leather: This kind of leather is obtained from a cow’s or a steer’s skin, and it is generally used to make jackets. Cowhide is tough and durable, and it is a practical choice for durable and tough outerwear.
- Deerskin: This is orange or yellow-tinted lightweight leather used for making warm weather jackets that can give you an adequate amount of protection. Deerskin is flexible and has a great deal of flexibility. It is durable but is not as damage resistant as thicker cowhide leather or horsehide leather.
- Goatskin: It is lighter in weight than deerskin and shows a wear resistance. It has a characteristic pebbled appearance.
- Sheepskin: It is top-rated leather, also referred to as a shearling, and comprises both the skin and the wool of the sheep. This is used to create leather jackets that can give an exceptionally warm and comfortable fit. This leather is known for its velvety and soft feel and is highly lightweight. When properly tanned and treated, sheepskin does not have any smell whatsoever. It generally has small grain and has a smooth enough texture to wear over the skin directly. It has great durability and will last with the wearer for a lifetime with little care and maintenance. It is primarily available in brown color, but other colors like red, blue, yellow, and white are also available on-demand.
The process of buying a leather jacket
- The first step: First of all, select the style of the leather jacket you want to get. Bombers are known to give a good deal of warmth. Simultaneously, the moto jackets are highly fitted and present with little space to accommodate layers beneath them. For warmer options, go for a long leather coat, trench coat, or leather jacket with a hoodie for men.
The leather jacket is casual apparel that works in most situations. It is even suitable for casual work environments. The businessmen’s minimalist sheepskin leather jacket is not only smooth to touch, but it is a perfect addition to your wardrobe.
- Quality of Leather: The full-grain leathers are the best quality and therefore also the priciest ones. The full-grain leather does not show any natural irregularities like blemishes, scars, or scuffs.
The top grain is the most preferred leather for all the jackets. This leather is smoothed well to create a smooth surface. It forms a thinner, more pliable, and highly comfortable leather.
- Lining: A leather lining with low-grade synthetics is useful for low-priced jackets. They are less breathable. You require high-quality and breathable lining that offers insulation and maintains an ambient temperature in the layer beneath the jacket.
- Zipper: The zippers should be silver-plated or copper-plated, and they will retain their sheen and shine for years to come.
- Other accessories: The hardware of the leather is the most important thing and it should be top quality hardware that retains its form, shape, and luster for years to come.
Buying a leather jacket for the first time will be a part of your adventure spree you want to go for. The best part is that leather jackets will get better and better with time. So, make sure that you choose the best leather jacket from a reputable seller so that you get complete value for your money.