I know y’all know I love to sew, but I love to sew for the new babies most of all. I spent yesterday cutting out two projects so that I could sit down to sew this afternoon. The first project was a changing pad. It was a really quick and easy project: you cut out two oval pieces of fabric, and two oval pieces of batting. Layer them together with the fabric right sides out. Stitch some quilting, trim, and finish off with some bias tape. Done.
The other side of this is striped in the same colors. Just roll it up, put an elastic band around it, and it is good to go.
When it is rolled up, it fits into the diaper bag. Actually, this is a large bag, so it will hold quite a bit of stuff. The breast feeding cover matches it, too. I didn’t finish this today. I got the outside quilted and stitched together, and the pockets attached to the lining before it was time to make dinner.
I used Pellon 70 stiff interfacing and some polyester fiberfill batting to make a nice quilted bag that will stand up by itself. The bottom is reinforced with a second piece of Pellon 70 to make it extra sturdy. When I did the quilting stitches on the monkey print part, I used wavy lines because it is easier to do that without it looking like you messed up. On the brown fabric on the bottom, I used just straight lines. Tomorrow I’ll finish the lining and attach the handles and it will be done. Then I can start on a matching quilt. Sewing for a baby is fun!