Rustie is the owner of Celiac Roads Consulting Services serving Portsmouth, NH, coastal New Hampshire and southern Maine. She provides a variety of customized services including gluten free cooking classes, grocery shopping assistance, and educational classes and retreats.
Your name: Rustie MacDonald
1.How long have you been eating gluten free? Almost 5 years
2. How did you discover that you were gluten intolerant? I became very ill after the birth of my youngest.
3. What were your most prominent symptoms? I was unable to hold food down.
4. Do you have an official diagnosis of Celiac Disease? The Blood Test was negative, the biopsy was positive.
5. How long did it take for your major symptoms to disappear when you started on a gluten free diet? 8 weeks for major pain about a year for my vitamin levels to become normal.
6. Do you have allergies or intolerances to other foods? No
7. Are other members of your family gluten intolerant? No
8. What do you miss the most since starting to eat gluten free? Convenience.
9. What is the hardest part for you about eating gluten free? In the beginning it was overwhelming. Just trying to understand what Gluten Free means and realizing how much gluten is found in every product!
10. What is your favorite restaurant? I really don’t have a favorite but do prefer ones that have a GF menu.
11. Do you have a favorite gluten free recipe to share? Tons
12. What are your hobbies? I own two companies, a mother of 2 daughters, a ‘wanna be’ gardener, an artist, a creator.
13. Where did you go on your last gluten free vacation? I haven’t had a vacation in years.
14. How has eating gluten free changed your life for the better? I am stronger, healthier, happier and overall feel great.