So I had to tear myself away from the computer and the website work, and sew something. I had promised my daughter a backpack for her birthday, which was in November, so that was the first thing I picked up today. The thing has been sitting there, all cut out and ready to sew, for weeks.
Becca is a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I found some embroidered patches with her favorite house emblem on them, Gryffindor:
That patch will be on the front of the backpack. I’m using orange fabric on the outside and for the pockets:
The whole thing is quilted and padded, and the pocket is big enough to hold her netbook or her e-reader. Or whatever. I used a piece of green corduroy that I found in a thrift shop for the inside. It is very soft. This backpack will be very sturdy, and has some very stiff interfacing in the middle.
And because she is a knitter, I made a pocket that goes all the way across the inside, with small divisions to hold knitting needles. At least I hope they will fit in there. Those pens and pencils fit in there pretty snugly, so maybe the needles will stay put in there. And one bigger pocket to hold a notebook or something. Tomorrow, I have to make the sides and top, and then put the whole thing together. I think I accomplished a lot, and made my poor neglected sewing machine happy.