This post is brought to you by Aziam Girlz
Celebrity yoga-instructor Alanna Zabel (among her clients, Adam Levine, Kelly Lynch, various NBA and PGA players, etc.), is changing the way kids look at fitness. She’s created the AZIAM Girlz, theWorld’s First Yoga Doll™ collection -the dolls that empower, inspire, and do yoga – with proceeds of sales donated to charities that encourage better living and health.
With childhood obesity rates more than doubling in the last 30 years, using toys is one way to teach kids about the importance of health and fitness. AZIAM Girlz inspires young girls everywhere to appreciate their unique selves and practice a healthy, grounded lifestyle during playtime and beyond. It truly is a doll to continue fostering a healthier generation.
Alanna creatively merged modern-day play patterns of young girls today with the ancient philosophy of Patanjali’s 8 Limbs of Yoga. Self-funding the five year development process, Alanna poured her passion into the collections, with the focused intention of providing young girls with a doll that is not solely focused on looking glamorous but instead is focused on positive states of being and giving back while inspiring girls to be active, kind, and love themselves AZ.I.AM.
A percentage of profits from the sale of each Asana Doll benefit the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, dedicated to reduce the prevalence of childhood obesity and to empower kids to develop lifelong, healthy habits. Nama the Om Dawg is the pet companion of Asana. (The plush doll version speaks, “Nama-STAY” when his belly is squeezed). 10% of Nama doll sales benefit Karma Rescue, dedicated to saving animals in need by finding them permanent homes and providing the resources for successful companionship.
Here are ten Yoga poses girls and their moms can do together:
1. Helicopter Pose: One of Asana’s favorite poses! Start on your hands and knees. Extend your right arm forward at the same time extend your left leg back. Feel the strength building in your back as you stretch and lift. Hold for 8 breaths and switch sides. I AM Active! #Asana #AZIAMGirlz
2. Plank: “Ya, I’m a girl,” says Asana, “A very strong girl.” Hold the top of a push-up for 8 breaths. Keep your shoulders over your wrists and your hips lifting for good form. I AM Strong! #Asana #AZIAMGirlz
3. Cobra: Lay on your stomach, then press your upper body up into backbend. Great stretch for your spine while building strength in your back. On days when she feels more flexible, Asana also bends her knees reaching her toes toward the back of her head for a greater stretch. Hold for 8 breaths. I AM Flexible! #Asana #AZIAMGirlz
4. Downward Facing Dog: Every Yoga Girl loves Down Dog! Try to get your heels down towards the floor by pushing your hips and legs back. Spread your fingers as you push into your hands. Hold for 8 breaths. #Asana #AZIAMGirlz
5. Camel: Start on your knees with your hands on your lower back. If it feels OK try reaching both hands for your heels. If that doesn’t feel right today, keep your hands on your lower back while stretching back into a backbend. Push your hips forward to get more stretch. Great form! Hold for 5-8 breaths. #Asana #AZIAMGirlz
6. Pigeon: One of the greatest yoga poses to stretch our your hips, legs, and lower back. Try to hold for 1-2 minutes, although Asana will want to stay in the pose for longer. #Asana #AZIAMGirlz
7. Mermaid: Asana’s second favorite pose! You get so many benefits here: hip and leg stretch, backbend, as well as your chest and shoulders opening. Hold for 5-8 breaths. #Asana #AZIAMGirlz
8. Yogi Bicycles: Lay on your back and alternate lifting your right elbow to your left knee, and then switch. The extending leg will stay above the ground for greater ab work. Keep going for 1 minute! Asana exhales on each twist, follow along with her. I AM Fit! #Asana #AZIAMGirlz
9. Wheel: Who doesn’t love wheel pose?! Lay on your back with your feet flat on the floor under your knees. Then flip your hands onto the floor with your thumbs next to your ears. Then push your hips upward, opening into the ultimate stretch for the front of your legs, hips, abdomen, and chest. Hold for 5-8 breaths. Keep practicing – as Asana knows, this gets easier with practice. I AM Committed! #Asana #AZIAMGirlz
10. Savasana: Asana’s favorite pose! Allow your body to rest, as it is just as important to rest as it is to work-out. Imagine you are floating on a raft in a pool, nowhere to go, nothing to do. Just be. I AM perfect, AZIAM. #Asana #AZIAMGirlz
Asana the AZIAM Yoga doll is available for purchase at the AZIAM website, and retails for $29.95.